Friday, May 29, 2009

Twinkies, the apocolyptic (petroleum-based) food

Few foods scare me in life but there are a small sampling of items that I will NOT eat, Twinkies being one of them. I made this decision a long time ago and was pleasantly surprised when grad students at Rice University developed the T.W.I.N.K.I.E project. I would happily reproduce their experiments with my summer camp kids & turned another generation away from the "more chemical than food" food. It was more fun than science but at least it got them thinking about what they were putting into their bodies.

After watching the Food Inc movie this week I am trying not to let it outright ruin my eating habits but it sure reinforced my stance on the Hostess snack cake from hell.

To further my point, there is a great article in the LA Times today that will help my case. It's always nice to find out it takes some Chinese Petroleum to make that golden delicious snack. Mmmm.

Enjoy the ever more mysterious cream filling (just remember it will cost you your soul & the health of your G.I. track).

You can find the article by clicking here.

True Story.

1 comment:

Devon said...

Reminds me of the Peeps Experiments of 2000... Summer Of Slavery and the like...