Friday, March 20, 2009

The End of an (Expensive) Era

The day has finally come. After over 5 years of being at my current workplace I finally caved. I’m not sure what led to this turn of events but this can easily be categorized as life changing (for me). I have resisted the urge, I have had little reason to change, the incentives were never there, it is purely selfish and the money spent on perpetuating this nasty habit is something that only Wells Fargo can comprehend.

Yes my friends, I have brought my lunch to work. (Gasp) As a hush falls over the crowd let me assure you that this took 4 days of vacation time to get around to cooking something, let alone something that would allow leftovers to fill the Gladware that collects dust in the cupboards. Mark your calendars for this momentous occasion since one of my main reasons for not bringing lunch is based in the hard fact that we have food for events all of the time. It’s not that unusual for those that regularly bring a lunch let it spoil in the fridge since there is something more tasty in the lounge, left at the front desk, or a group heading down the street for a bite.

Granted, I am the one that usually gathers a group and heads out the door to pick up something from 1300 East or 400 South but I’m turning a new leaf. I promise to minimize my role as the tempter for those that bring their lunch – it hasn’t been my intent to be the lunch hour Lucifer. My promises and proposals for succulent options that sound better than your smashed PB&J or microwave diet entrée.

I now join the ranks of those in line at the microwave to reheat some smelly dish. I am sad to say goodbye to my spendy dining habits but I’m sure I will feel better about the money I save.

Then again, I just got the email that we are having salads delivered at 12:30. Screw the Spanish Rice and Chicken in the mini-fridge – I’m off the (chuck)wagon. True Story.

No comments: