Saturday, April 10, 2010

Green Thumb: Week 2 (it's not dead yet)

After ditching my dead palm and wilted ivy plants on Palm Sunday I thought I'd take another stab at keeping green things alive. I've kept the one in my office alive for over a year so I know that there's a slight hint of hope. 

In a hasty decision I went with an orchid and two more ivy. Seems that I should have learned from my orchid experience last summer (it was one of two house plants that didn't do so well while I was housesitting). Meh, we will see how long these new plants last. Here's a pic to measure initial progress (even though I admit that the plant would look like this is was clipped and in a vase)
 

2 comments:

Lauren McK said...

When the flowers fall, you need to cut the branch down - leave about an inch. If you leave the branch, it will poison the plant. Typically they bloom 2-3 times a year, always from new branches.

Matt said...

Thanks for the tip Lauren. When I house sat over the summer the blossoms all eventually fell off and I never trimmed the plant (yikes).

I guess now if this ones dies I have no excuses.