Sunday, April 26, 2009

Tie Food anyone?

It's a sad truth, but I would rather feed my tie collection than buy food sometimes. Since I'm a food snob that easily spends more than a healthy tithe on eating out that should place perspective on where I rank my tie collection.

Ever since living in England (home to some of the greatest ties) I have developed a mild addiction to filling the tie racks in my closet. Por ejemplo, I could go out to eat at X, Y, or Z and spend $30 on a meal or grab a slice from Este Pizza for $3.00 and "save" enough to buy that tie I saw on Saturday. I'm pretty sure a therapist would call this bargaining, a housewife would call this justifying, and I, well I simply consider this a normal spending habit. It's a mutation of the "sunk cost" theory (I know, I should have paid more attention in Economics 110). After living in the South I have also added a small collection of bow ties. It's funny how wearing a bow tie (outside of a wedding reception line) is shocking in Utah, then again sometimes I forget where I live. Tailors along the Wasatch Front specialize in letting out waistlines and replacing buttons on poly-blend double breasted suits from Mr. Mac.

Don't think I am a man without boundaries, I draw the line at bolo ties. I took an oath to never EVER wear one and intend to keep that promise. I also try to not spend too much on neckties - sure I have a few Purple Label Ralph Lauren & Hermes ties but those were on sale people, on Sale! Now I sound like my mother when she buys 40 Salsa Choppers because they were "a good deal." Eh, I got over it, so can you.

Now if the weather would transition to spring that would be great. It's hard to explain why someone would wear bright spring ties when it's 50 degrees, windy, and raining. Hey, all I can say is sometimes I live in denial.

No comments: