Thursday, April 9, 2009

Clothing Conundrum

It can easily be said that I am a clean person; it’s actually a blatant fact. I believe that I am just two notches below the standard for being clinically diagnosed with OCD tendencies. Strangely enough this does not apply across the board, especially when talking about doing laundry. Mind you, the smell of freshly laundered linens is one of my favorites but once I discovered air freshener that replicates that smell there has been a diminished incentive to make laundry day be a priority. This reprioritization has led me to the crossroads between laziness and sheer genius. I keep finding myself asking (and answering) the following question about every three weeks:

Do I do laundry or just buy new clothes? Many times my answer has been buy, buy, buy new clothes and let the dirty ones pile up high.

Before you go judging me about sartorial recycling, know that my neat-freakish tendencies prevent me from wearing dirty clothes. I have an abundance of clothes that has ultimately allowed for my reluctance to spend time in the dungeon of dingy duds, the sudsy sauna of spin cycles, that lair of laborious laundry (aka: my building's basement where the shared set of washers and dryers live). The joy of pulling a piece of clothing straight from the dryer and putting it on as I run out the door is a luxury I am estranged from. The ease of throwing in a load and abandoning it on a Saturday like Punky Brewster’s mom did to her is not a an option I have these days. Trying to find time to do laundry is hard enough, trying to have one of those times align with the availability of a washer and dryer is another thing. There are few things more annoying that hauling stuff to the basement and opening a washer to find it piled high with someone’s Wal*Mart granny panties. [Take your time to dwell on that image, it’s OK, take all the time you need.]

Back to me and my issues…

When the supplies of essentials has recently run low I seem to steer my car towards Nordstrom Rack (I’m frugal, if not exactly fiscally prudent) instead of the laundry detergent aisle of the closest grocery store. In all fairness, the joys of new socks outweigh the need to wash and matchup worn ones. In times of economic crisis’ this is how I choose to stimulate our economy. My laundering laziness can help in some small way; in my heart of hearts I know it’s true. On the scale of ridiculous this might be tipping the scale towards insanity but if this were New York I would have someone do my laundry (by the pound) but I’m in Utah, UTAH people! I’m here and I don’t have three wives to wash, fold, and press my shameless amounts of clothing.

It’s a vicious cycle and one that might require attention at some point in time but I think I have it under control, after all, I am typing this as I do 4 loads of laundry. True Story.

No comments: