Thursday, July 15, 2010

This Made Me Smile (& wish I had stuck w film school)

I love films.

I love short films.

I love short films because they are a challenge; they are a race to capture an audience and deliver a message. It is a low-risk opportunity as a viewer (minimal time investment) with potentially high returns (the good ones are really good). Think of it like a Bento box for lunch or assorted fine chocolates (I'm not talking orange creme cherry cordial wax-aftertaste chocolates from WalGreens)... it's more reward than hit and miss.

I love them because they make me think, they stir an emotion, they are what movies have forgotten to be. Films are the definition of art direction, invisible editing, and a meticulous soundtrack that has the power to carry a storyline, to suspend time. You watch as a participant not just a spectator.

Take 12 minutes and watch this:
SIGNS by Patrick Hughes

3 comments:

Jason said...

I saw this about a year ago, and I was basically obsessed. Love it.

It's kinda weird that we like something in common, huh? ;-)

Sharona said...

I love the cool little things like this you find to post. Where do you find this stuff?! Awesome

Matt said...

I'd like to say I just stumbled upon it but I have had two different people tell me about it and I finally dug it up online (my first search kept coming up with M. Night Shaymalamamlamalanan links).

The director works with a few other that have interesting short films. I will post one from another director soon.