Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A job well done

The phrase “well done” can have many meanings. With ordering burgers it means no bloody mess in the middle, please. When it’s a prime cut of beef it means you have no idea how to order a steak. At times of exhaustion and work stress it means you can breathe and maybe even crack a smile (gold star stickers are optional around my office).

I try to avoid posting anything related to work due to etiquette and my life of mild secrecy. This time it’s OK since you have no real context and this falls under the category of me getting to play the straight man in a tense situation.

Today the result of "a job well done" resulted in the following comical exchange. But first, let's set the stage for this short conversation (see what Sundance does to you, everyone becomes a director).

...lower the house lights, cue the orchestra, raise the curtain, spotlight on me (of course) and an unnamed gentleman of stature, kill the music, cue the dialog...

[Gentleman] “I should be jumping for joy at this news”

[Me] "or jumping under the table”

[Gentleman] “or out the window”

[Me] “we're on the ground floor and your window barely opens”

[Gentleman] “Point taken.”

This is what happens when you are up to your eyes in special projects that appear to be making progress. As life would have it, you get more difficult, I mean special, projects thrown at you.

Think of Nancy Kerrigan right after she got her legs smashed by Jeff Gillooly. In my mind I was not so calm, my inner voice was loudly proclaiming, "Why?!...why?!...why is this happening to me?!" Only time will tell if this new project leads back to Tonya Harding. If it does, heaven help us all.

I don’t mind that you have no idea why the 5 lines of dialog above made me and the other person laugh (a laugh that sounds like if it weren't a chuckle it could easily be mistaken for a nervous cry). Then again, this blog is for my enjoyment and not so much yours.

True Story.

1 comment:

J and L said...

:)
Just imagine that is a knowing smile saying "I understand, my friend"...