Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Blogging Hiatus is over (and has moved to blogspot)

This blog is purely based on my reactions to the world and that's gotta be worth a few laughs. Those that know me should be intrigued, those that were directed here by others might not be so entertained...give it a while. If you don't find it a little bit amusing then you can go back to mass forwarding emails about saving a sick child and other inbox chain-letters that everyone loathes.

Irony is what my life is. I see the strange. I'm a witness to insanity. My wandering eye notices the fun stuff that the majority dismiss or pass by without blinking. Those that have a keen eye know what I'm talking about. Essentially, the world impacts me more than I impact it but I'm working on that.

So why am I writing this you might ask? Know now that I know that you are asking yourself that question (just like I know that you had to read that sentence twice to figure out how poorly it was constructed). Essentially, I haven't touched my old (now defunct) blog in over a year and then I was asked to guest blog for a friend (a piece on buying Khaki's) and here I am setting up my own new blog. Sounds like the definition of a reactionary life, I know.

Does that make this blog a manifestation of my childish need to have what my friends have? You bet! Am I going to start neglecting this like a new toy before the first set of batteries die? Probably. Why should that matter in the here and now? You're reading it, right?

I'm already growing bored just going through and setting up this daggum thing (that's for my peeps in the south - my Texas drawl manifests itself every now and then). Is this a sign that my short-lived attention span will jeopardize the livelihood of this blog? Maybe, but you're still reading it, right?

As incentive to come back later, here is the post I mentioned earlier that promulgated this potential disaster known as my blog. The post below will be the summation of my venture (that's for my peeps in the north who might never read this but I had to include them too).

*posted without prior consent from the original blog owner but I wrote it so she will just have to deal with it. Found online at: http://www.spruance.blogspot.com/

Khaki's (Who knew it was more than just a color?)

From Left to Right, priced low-high
Target: Merona Lightweight Chino Pants $24.99
Express Men: Producer Pant Corded Pinstripe $59.50
J.Crew: Regular-fit Broken-in Chino $64.50
Banana Republic: Straight solid dress chino $78.00
Ralph Lauren: Slim Custom-Fit Chino $98.00

Father's Day is around the corner and here is my two cents on the wardrobe staple known as the Khaki pant. For some reason "Khaki" has become a catch-all category for any pant that is made of cotton and somewhat tan in color. Why bore you with the difference between Chino's and Khaki's when the majority of stores (& their sales associates) in Utah wouldn't have a clue if you asked them anyway.

Before I am accused of being a clothing snob (I am, I know I am, but that point is irrelevant) I am making the assumption that if you wanted semi-trendy clothes that self-destruct you will gladly visit the nearest Old Navy for a cargo pocket infested pair of American Eagle knock-offs which are actually Abercrombie & Fitch knock-offs created as a frat party perversion of a classic pant. If you are looking for clothing that is sold with worn and frayed seems or has the ability to hold everything you own in the 5 extra pockets then stop reading this now and go hang out at the Hollister and revel in the pseudo-California décor with its dated surf magazines and dark lighting that encourages shoplifting all while listening to blatantly marketed corporate alternative pop music you will eventually download illegally. There is a time and place for "new" pre-worn clothes (it's called high school where style is hand delivered by the media).

Please note that the suggestions I produced are still mass-market and bridge the budget from about $25-$100. No need to search any farther than your suburban mall on these choices.

Moving on…

I referred to the Khaki as a staple because its classic nature makes it the chameleon in your closet. It goes to work on a Friday or a date Wednesday night and can run errands on a Saturday morning. A classic cut and fit will carry you longer than the sloppy styles tagged as "loose cut" or "casual fit." Avoid the elastic wastes – accept your waist size and buy a properly sized garment.

Color is more flexible with a Khaki than in a traditional pant. American style has dictated that just about anything will pair-up with a shade of tan. The more pale the pant is (almost white or bone) the more it should be worn in summer and it can be a thinner, lighter cotton. The darker colors should be kept in the closet until the temperatures take a dip for the winter and be a heavier cotton.

Next up is the lineup (see photo above):

All classic, plain front (pleats should be avoided – don't talk yourself into it just because they are a nice brand and on "Sale" – there is a reason they are on sale). Don't assume that since you "know your size" that you can just snatch and grab from the rack – try on a few pairs. As painful as it can be it needs to be done – each brand has different fits, cuts, and styles (casual at one store is not casual at another). Also, if you don't live at the beach you should avoid getting a length that hits at or above the ankle. Unless you wear Sperry's and hangout at the marina, hey – you might, you should avoid anything but the traditional length.

Now what you wear with the Khaki is an entirely different topic and is dictated by our own style.

7 comments:

Devon said...

That 'p' word u used... Us stupid ppl caint be understandin them fancy words... Keep bloggin the good blog!

Unstoppable Lindsey said...

I'm sorry but I think that brightly-colored plaid shorts are now the new khaki. I think that Gap and maybe some other brand name stores (as indicated in the blog) are really the only stores to be pushing khaki anymore (and it really isn't even highlighted in commercials) ....what's the deal...it used to be so hip. Thanks for keeping us up to date though!

Welcome back to blogging. You will find it addictive and will want to post new things...almost 3 times a day. I have tried spreading it out...doesn't work so well!

Katie said...

uhh you have a blog Matt? WHAT has the world come to? Um blogging I guess.

Ok you can view my blog, email me at katie577@hotmail.com. and I'll invite you!

Katie said...

Matt email me again, I think I erased it because it went to my junk email. So email me again.

JoLynn said...

Oh-look who I brought together finally...Katie & Matt.

Katie said...

LOL Jolynn smart ***

Elizabeth Connolly said...

Your blog makes for really good night time reading material, very entertaining!