Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My Tuesday (a poem to rival Dr. Seuss)


This morning I woke to quite the surprise
A snow storm, a white-out, the kind I despise
I left the house early to grab my family, my sis
The kids, their luggage, to the airport, a flight not to miss

Sugarhouse roads were as slow like cold tar
An hour had passed, we didn't get far
When the plows pulled their heads out and roads began to clear
We arrived at the airport with a plane on the tarmac and more to fear

A trunk and backseat filled with stuff to unpack
A suitcase, a stroller, two car seats, kids, a knapsack
We crammed into an elevator with one minor hitch
We jammed the door and my niece repeated my "son of a bitch!"

The plane had left by the time we got to the gate
My sister started to cry, Delta we could not hate
The employee was nice and we rebooked for a day later
Jack Frost, you bastard, my family is a certified hater

We compensated with a fast drive back for a breakfast feast
To the Original Pancake House, feed me a Bacon Waffle at least
Dirty diapers all around and a nephew soaked in vomit
Fabreeze the damn car, scrub the leather with comet

As the day settled down I got word from IT
My laptop was fixed, my pants I did almost pee
The rest of the day was awash, remembered as a flub
What could I do but hit the gym, write this poem, fill my bathtub

May my prayers to the Patron Saint of Wednesday's be heard
Give me a relaxing day at work, for your day that comes third
I hope you enjoyed my poem, my ridiculous day
Be good, smile, and remember tomorrow is not Tuesday.

4 comments:

Jord said...

Sounds like a day, you poor guy! Definitely loved the poem.

amasonsayswhat said...

Nice poem matt. so proud. what a tuesday indeed. but you failed to mention how awesome monday was! i think our group could use a blog post don't you?

Sharona said...

That was brilliant. I'm totally impressed.

Michael and Michelle said...

What I'm imprssed with is that it was all that and a he** of a lot more that you couldn't fit in any flippin poem!!!! I want to forget that day but all I know is that it will haunt my dreams foreva! Thanks for sharing in that blessed day!- Shelle